By Martha P. Nochimson
- Brings jointly the main leading edge, in-depth, and fascinating scholarship on arguably the best residing Asian filmmaker, from a multinational workforce of validated and emerging movie students and critics
- Covers a tremendous breadth of issues resembling the culture of the jianghu in Wong's motion pictures; queering Wong's movies now not by way of gender yet in the course of the artist's liminality; the phenomenological Wong; Wong's intertextuality; the United States via Wong's eyes; the optics of intensities, thresholds, and transfers of strength in Wong's cinema; and the diasporic presence of a few women from Shanghai in Wong's Hong Kong
- Examines the political, old, and sociological effect of Wong and his paintings, and discusses his paintings from a number of views together with sleek, post-modern, postcolonial, and queer theory
- Includes appendices which study Wong’s paintings in Hong Kong tv and commercials
Read Online or Download A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) PDF
Best film & video art books
During this fascinating new e-book, Gelley considers the collaboration among Rossellini and Ingrid Bergman in gentle of the neorealist aesthetic. This learn re-examines the director's postwar works with regards to the modern dialogue on Italian nationwide identification: instead of marking an intensive holiday with the director's early neorealist successes, Rossellini's movies with Bergman in reality expand the limits of neorealism and problem the normal interpreting of its simple tenets, specifically the connection among personality and surroundings.
Metro videos: Cinematic Urbanism in Post-Mao China takes readers on a complete travel of the urbanization of chinese language cinema. Focusing totally on videos from the top of the 20th century, it's the first single-authored paintings to discover the connection among the adjustments in chinese language society—caused partly by way of the arrival of postsocialism, the expansion of towns, and globalization—and the transformation of chinese language cinema.
The award-winning movie Dont glance again (1967) captures Bob Dylan on journey and at the cusp of swap in 1965. Dylan used to be speedily laying off his photograph as a folks musician and being reborn as a rock character – and D. A. Pennebaker was once there to checklist this attention-grabbing transformation. This insightful e-book charts the ways that Pennebaker revised features of observational 'direct cinema', a method of film-making that he helped to pioneer, to be able to characterize in cutting edge methods Dylan's onstage performances and behind the scenes activities.
The tale of 1 of crucial and least-understood jobs in moviemakingfilm editingis the following advised by way of one of many wizards, Ralph Rosenblum, whose credentials comprise six Woody Allen motion pictures, in addition to The Pawnbroker, The manufacturers, and see you later, Columbus. Rosenblum and journalist Robert Karen have written either a historical past of the career and a private account, a hugely pleasing, instructive, and revelatory ebook that might make any reader a extra acutely aware movie-viewer.
- Fantasy Femmes of Sixties Cinema: Interviews with 20 Actresses from Biker, Beach, and Elvis Movies
- Photography: Theoretical Snapshots
- Berlin Replayed: Cinema and Urban Nostalgia in the Postwall Era
- Lure of the Big Screen: Cinema in Rural Australia and the United Kingdom
Extra resources for A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors)
A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) by Martha P. Nochimson